I signed up for The World Citizen Challenge, which I love because it doesn't require much of a commitment in terms of books. I can read one book, for the World Citizenship 101 Level, or I can move up to a higher level.After looking at Eva's suggested reading lists, I'm thinking I will read at least one of the following books:
The Soul of Iran: A Nation’s Journey to Freedom by Afshin Molavi. Since Molavi is Iranian, this one would also count for my Diversity Rocks challenge. I also think this would be a good follow-up to My Father's Paradise, a memoir of the son of a Kurdish Iranian which I read in 2008.
Night Draws Near: Iraq’s People in the Shadow of America’s War by Anthony Shadid. Eva says: Night Draws Near, published in 2005, is reporter Anthony Shadid’s story of the impact of the war on regular Iraqi citizens. Since he is Lebanonese-American and fluent in Arabic, he was able to become quite close to several Iraqis. (see her full review) . So, this would also fit for Diversity Rocks, and would make a nice follow-up to Sunrise in Fallujah, a novel I recently read.
Fault Lines: Journeys into the New South Africa by David Goodman. Publishers Weekly says it "profiles four pairs of people who dramatize the country's current conflicts and contradictions." I haven't paid as much attention to South Africa as I'd like, this past decade or so. So, the appeal of this book is that it would bring me up to speed.
I'm really looking forward to checking out these books! If I read all three of them I'll have completed the Minor level--so I guess I'm sort of unofficially aiming for that.
1 comment:
I'm doing this challenge, too and Night Draws Near is one of the books I was thinking of reading. I'm excited about this challenge because I always feel like I need to know more about the world and I always just forget about it by the time I get to the library or bookstore!
Post a Comment