Thursday, January 8, 2009

Blog goals

I'm really excited about Kim's Blog Improvement Project but I haven't been sure where to post about it. After all, I have three main blogs: Worducopia, my Diversity Rocks! challenge blog, and my personal blog. And this blog, which I started to keep track of my other challenges because I didn't want to clutter up my other blogs with them.

The Blog Improvement Project doesn't feel like clutter to me at all, but because some of it applies to multiple blogs, it feels odd to post it on just one of those. So, I'm posting it here.

The first assignment is to come up with goals for 2009.

1. Posting frequency: I want to remain a little vague about this because this isn't a job, I do it for fun. I don't post if I don't want to. I guess you could call that a goal in itself.
Worducopia: post at least 1-2 book reviews, plus at least one other post, per week.
Diversity Rocks: post book recommendations or relevant links every week or two.
Alirambles (my personal blog): post at least once a week.

2. Broaden my reading: more diverse authors, and add some genre reading. I'll be looking for suggestions.

3. Participate in the blogging community
Leaving comments, hosting a challenge, helping run Weekly geeks (it starts this weekend!), and so on. And yet...

4. Choose memes carefully. I want to be practicing my writing and making a contribution when I blog. "Coke or Pepsi?" doesn't do either, no matter how much I like the person who asked the question. And the whole "tag 6 people" thing is a little too reminiscent of chain letters. That said, I like the awards and am flattered when people pick me. So, I'll do some, but not feel obligated. And I'll be very choosy about the weekly memes, also--only participating if I feel inspired.

5. Learn:
How to post a vlog
How to use tabs to have different "pages" in Blogger
How to get my rss feeds to tweet automatically
How to manage Twitter so it's not a mish mash of overwhelming stuff. Possible?
Maybe even do some giveaways (not a learning thing, but a stretching thing)

6. More:
exploring classic literature, kid reviews, author interviews,

7. Finish my book and send it out. Yes, this is related to blogging. It means I need to prioritize my writing time, and if that occasionally means pausing the blogging for a bit, so be it.

6 comments:

Louise said...

Those are some really great goals I think. I think a lot of us share the same goals and that is great, because then we can help each other out as the project progresses. I will be following all the blogs I can possibly manage to see how everyone is getting along with their ideas and goals. Have a great weekend and good luck with it all :-)

Dorte H said...

Great but also manageable goals, I think.
You express that you consider genre reading. Would you be interested in crime fiction?
- if you are, I hope to see you on my crime fiction blog :)
I blog in Danish and English - all books which are translated into English will also be reviewed in English. My blogger blog is quite new, but more reviews will come, I promise.

Anonymous said...

I need to get mine done and stop fooling around. Everyone has done so well. Ack!

Cathy said...

You have some great goals! The BIP is wonderful, not just for giving me incentive to get some things done with my blog, but also for all the new people I'm meeting!

Margot said...

I enjoyed reading your goals and your honest approach to what you want to do. I look forward to watching your progress.

Anonymous said...

I think your goal about choosing memes carefully is a good one. I love getting tagged, but I don't usually read them, so I'm sort of torn about participating all the time.

Sorry it took me so long to get over here and comment!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness)